The Rockin' Sista

The Rockin' Sista
"Hmm...what can I get into now?"

Friday, March 25, 2011

Finally!

I know, I know, I've been threatening to do this for a while. You can't believe I finally did it. Well, the truth is, I had to get out of my own way. I wanted to have my own blog for a long time but I just couldn't do it. I've been in a terrible funk for a long time and as all creative types know, you cant create when your brain is full of oatmeal.

I've been stuck for months. Let's be honest - I really have. I've started writing and stopped and never got anywhere. I have a lot to say but I didn't even want to hear it so I couldn't move forward. Last year was kind of rough for me and I had several setbacks and now when I look back, I feel good that I managed to survive it all and keep some semblance of sanity. So now, it's time to get back to being me and so here I am!

I look around me and I see a lot of things that alarm me. I see people who don't seem to care about anyone but themselves. I am distressed to see racism still alive and well despite everything we've done the past 50 years. I am still amazed at how satisfied people are at being dumb. And on a personal level, I had to stop and think that there were people in my life that I thought were friends and I had to realize they aren't. I have some people who truly care about me and I know who they are. I know where I can go lay my head and be soothed. Sometimes you need a wake-up call.

There are a lot of things wrong. We all know that. But there are a lot of things right too and we shouldn't lose sight of that. I work hard to be optimistic but yeah, sometimes it's really rough. So when you visit me here, you will see a lot of things that are on my mind. You may agree and you may not. Life goes on.

A few years ago, a friend and I tried to put together an advice column website for me. I had good intentions and meant for it to be something positive. I have a lot of people come to me for advice and I try to help people do the right thing because I care. But you know, even with the smartest of us, we still manage to make a terrible mess of our lives sometimes. Do you want somebody smugly telling you how you screwed up? I think not, so it didn't work out and I've been floundering since then.  This seems like a better option.

So bear with me. I think this is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment